Tuesday, January 29, 2019

So many plants and so little time. Thanks to a lovely Christmas gift from my husband, I am spending time up close and personal with an amaryllis. I've never had one before. I suspect my husband was fascinated by the fact that the bulb arrived in a casing of wax that contains all the nutrients and water needed for the plant to sprout and flower. To me, the mystery of it unfolding every day---from shoot to budding stem to this glorious flower that becomes more intricate and lovely every day---is simply astonishing. Instead of the familiar red variety I've spotted in other people's homes, this one is a pale greenish-white with burgundy streaks and veins.  I'll admit, I've managed to do in my share of corporate poinsettias over the years and felt sorry for those much abused plants. But this elegant plant is another category entirely. I will be sad to see the flowering end.


No comments: