Wednesday, June 10, 2015

 One guy's weed turns up in gardens or even florist shops.  These white Freesia, a perennial native to southern Africa, turned up in the 'wild' on a Croatian hillside in March. It belongs to the family Iridaceae, related both to my beloved iris, gladiolus and crocus.  Invariably when we order winter florist bouquets, freesias play prominently into our choice.
Growing nearby on that same Croatian hillside, next to some naturalized iris (note the distinctive leaves) were some vinca plants. The hardy perennial was a staple groundcover in my gardens back in New York and in Northern Michigan where, in some places, they are taking over the woods!  Native to Europe, northern Africa and parts of Asia, vinca is known as periwinkle in England---a color that figured prominently in our crayon boxes when I was growing up.  In India the plant is called sadaphuli which means 'ever blooming'.
It only goes to show, how a plant is perceived depends a lot on where it happens to find itself. Freesia smells just as strong whether on a Croatian hillside or in a bouquet from the local grocery.  Vinca with its long, trailing stems [from the Latin vincire, "to fetter"] could be considered as big a nuisance as the gardener's plague, bindweed. To me, it smacks of late afternoon skies on Long Island and the flower beds that exist for me now just in memory. Former neighbors report those gardens I planted are still going great guns along Main Road.  Vinca or no, I have to say, that pleases me no end.

No comments: